Appeal Of BMV 12 Point Suspension

If you have received a notice from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) that your driver’s license will be suspended due to the accumulation of 12 points against your driving record, you may file a petition (appeal) with our court to receive limited driving privileges during the six month suspension or to show cause why your driving privileges should not be suspended.  This appeal should be filed with the municipal court or county court in the jurisdiction in which you reside.  Please see the territorial jurisdiction map under General Information for the townships and municipalities covered by our court.

This petition must be filed before your suspension is scheduled to begin, which is the twentieth day after BMV mails the notice of suspension.  The appeal is handled in the same manner as a regular civil complaint.  See the schedule of filing fees for the cost of filing this petition.

There are no forms available from the Clerk’s Office for this procedure.